Just a quick reminder that starting November 18, I’ll be teaching a 10-Week Short Fiction-Writing Class. It will be in Austin, Texas. It will awesome. And registration closes next week!
So if you’ve been wanting to register, but haven’t yet, get in touch today. Contact me through the Contact section of this site. Full details below!
This is a course for writers of any experience level who want to…
– Become an expert at writing a compelling plot for a story
– Create rich, developed characters, backstory, and dialogue
– Master the art of description, details, and showing; not telling
– Learn to develop and trust your own writing style, voice, and narrator
– Workshop each other’s work
– Receive verbal and written feedback from myself and your classmates on your story
– End up with a polished and reviewed complete short story or single chapter of a longer work
– Read & learn from some of the best short stories
In this class, we will focus on writing short stories. (Fiction – between 1,500 and 10,000 words.)
That means, we’ll be focusing on creating new work during these ten weeks. If you find as you are writing that your short story is actually a chapter in a longer work, that is also acceptable – but you’ll need to let us know the greater context before we read yours. If you find that your short story is actually a memoir – we can talk about that.
We will spend the first four classes of the course learning various elements of storytelling, reading a short story per week on each theme, and creating the bones and details of our stories. Then, we’ll begin working on writing the stories themselves. And then we’ll workshop.
Here is a detailed breakdown of our time together:
– 2.5 hours per week
– Each Monday for 10 weeks –
(first five classes): Nov 18 – Dec 16
(HOLIDAY BREAK): Dec 17 – Jan 6
(second five classes): Jan 6 – Feb 3
– Cost: $600
– Tuition is nonrefundable
– Maximum number of students accepted: 8
*Cost Breakdown: $50 per class + $10 per week for editing, reviewing, & reading assignments
*Class cost also includes supplies, including: copies of the short stories we’ll be reading, notebooks, pens, & snacks
Please let me know if you are interested as soon as possible, as I will only be taking a small number of students and spaces will fill quickly! Class members will be invited to join a private FB group upon enrollment and will receive an email with complete syllabus.
I am an author, illustrator, and facilitator from here in Austin. I’m the author of seven books, including the bestselling Peter Able series. I’ve been writing and editing professionally for the past ten years and have been teaching classes on improv and creative writing for the past three.